Art Competition - Born With Pride
Most South Asian countries are still plagued by colonial-era legislation, which considers homosexuality “an offence against the order of nature”. In the last decade, the region has witnessed some progress in recognising the rights of the LGBTQI+ community. Most South Asian countries are now showing progress in guaranteeing peoples’ sexual orientation and gender identity (expression) (SOGI(E)) rights. However, the societal attitudes towards sexual and gender non-conforming people have not changed.
To address these issues, Friedrich Naumann Foundation (FNF) South Asia conceptualised “Born With Pride” in 2020. The project aims to raise visibility for communities from South Asian countries and provide an international platform to engage in conversations with community experts. Since 2020, we have organised a series of online webinars with community representatives, academics, and civil society organisations. We successfully nourished healthy discussions with our audience around the topic.
Given the overwhelmingly positive response, we plan to organize an in-person South-Asia regional Born With Pride conference on 26 - 29 September in Kathmandu, Nepal. Our speakers come from the community and will present insights on the LGBTQI+ community in different political, social, and economic spheres.
As part of the conference, we are organising a Performance Art Competition and Visual Art Competition to support the community. We invite LGBTQI+ community members to participate and portray the inner battles the applicants face in their daily lives.
Born With Pride Visual Art Competition 2022
- Details to enter the competition: The artists are invited to send their entries in the form of painting (physical or digital) and photography. The applicants should bear in mind that entries should be aesthetically appealing showcasing their inner feelings. All entries should have an accurate caption.
- Deadline extended: 15th August 2022
- Submission Guidelines:
- Submit your entries at: email@example.com
- Entry email must include applicant details such as name, 100 words of applicant profile, contact details, the title of the artwork, and 100 words of artwork interpretation.
- Must be original and not published anywhere else.
- Must be uploaded in common image formats like .jpeg/.jpg /.png.
- Should be saved with high quality.
- Should be captured in landscape mode
- Capture resolution above 3264x2448 Pixels (8 Megapixel)
- Single exposure and single frame pictures will be accepted. The following are not accepted: Multiple exposures, polyptychs (diptychs, triptychs, and so forth). Stitched panoramas, either produced in-camera or with image editing software.
- Artwork should not have the name of the artist, agency, publication, or any other information.
- An external jury will select 12 entries as winners. The top 3 will be awarded a 300 Euros prize at the Born With Pride Conference to be held in Kathmandu, Nepal which includes accommodation & flights. The remaining nine runner-up applicants will be awarded 100 Euros each.
Rights and Permissions:
- Copyright holders retain the copyright of their work. For awarded entries, copyright holders grant the Regional Office of the Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom (FNF) unlimited non-exclusive use of high-resolution pictures for activities in all media, including social media, online and print, in relation to the contest, the exhibition, the yearbook, the public archive, and all promotional and educational activities for and under the auspices of the Regional Office of the Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom (FNF), without any remuneration being due.
- The copyright holders represent and warrant that submission of the entries does not breach any law, and further that no third party can hold any claims or any objections regarding the rights granted to the Regional Office of the Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom (FNF). The copyright holders will hold the Regional Office of the Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom (FNF) harmless of any claims from third parties related hereto.