Family Policy Trends in Central-Eastern Europe
In recent years, right-wing populists among Central-Europe wish to become the sole political actors who represent families in the political landscape. However, there should be no place for ongoing populist ideological attacks against the fundaments of the liberal political system. Just like in Hungary – fostering liberal-minded, innovative and progressive actors is more relevant than ever before. Liberal democracies must prevail and families can’t be used manipulatively by the populists.
Thus, we are pleased to invite you to the conference organised by the Republikon Institute on how liberals could articulate liberal values through family policy. At the conference, the participants will discuss liberal alternatives to the exclusionary family support system and populist ideas in family policy.
10:00 | Opening remarks
- Gábor Horn, Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Republikon Foundation
- Daniela Matousová, Project Manager of the Friedrich Naumann Foundation
10:10 | First panel: Liberal Family Policies in Central-Eastern Europe
- Radovan Durana, Analyst, INESS (SK)
- Milosz Hodun, Expert, Nowoczesna (PL)
- Jana Paloncyová, Head of Department for Family Policy Issues, Research Institute for Labour and Social Affairs (CZ)
- Ivett Szalma, Senior Research Fellow of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Centre of Social Sciences, Head of Research Group on Reproductive Decision
11:45 | Second Panel: Hungarian Family Polcy: Goals, Tools, Performance
Moderator: Márton Schlanger, Researcher, Republikon Institute
- Slomó Köves, rabbi, Chief Rabbi of the Unified Hungarian Jewish Congregation
- Szandra Kramarics, social policy expert
- Balázs Krémer, Sociologist, socio-political scientist, associate professor, OR-ZSE
When: 17th October 2023, Tuesday, 10:00 – 13:30
Where: Magvető Café, 1074 Budapest, Dohány street 13. It will be also streamed online here.
Working languages: English and Hungarian. Simultaneous translation will be provided for both sections.
Registration: The event is free, for in-person participation, please register here.
Republikon Institute is a liberal think tank organisation based in Budapest, focusing on analysing Hungarian and international politics, formulating policy recommendations and initiating projects that contribute to a more open, democratic and free society. The goal of the Institute is to promote discussion and implementation of liberal ideas, approaches and policies.