Call for proposals
Policy Paper: Freedom of Information in Action for Good Governance
In 2002, Pakistan became the first country in South Asia to introduce the Right to Information (RTI) act. According to Global Right to Information Rating Map, all countries in the region (except unranked Bhutan) are ranked among the top 40 countries for their RTI acts. South Asian countries have developed strong RTI laws to enable citizens to request any document from any public authority. This piece will focus on the shortcomings of the laws in each country. Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom (FNF) is looking for a consultant to write a paper aimed at sharing the knowledge and experiences of South Asian countries that have successfully implemented RTI acts. The countries that will be included in the report are; Afghanistan (rank 1), Sri Lanka (rank 4), India (rank 8), and Maldives (rank 18)
- The legal framework to recognize RTI as a fundamental right
- Exception and refusal provisions to deny RTI requests
- Steps required to catalyze proactive discloser of information
- At least two case studies from each country where RTI enables citizens to uncover information from the state.
- Some key takeaways for Europe.
Paper and Timeline
The policy paper is between 4,500 and 7,000 words long and broadly follows the below structure:
- Chapters on Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, India, and the Maldives
- Interview FNF-approved experts from countries selected by FNF
- Each chapter 1,000 to 1,500 words finalizing the list of contents within a week of signing the agreement
- The first draft of the paper: 15th November 2022
- Final paper: 30th November 2022
Your Skills and Experience
You are a practitioner or researcher in RTI, policy, and governance and have a good understanding of South Asia and the European Union countries.
How to apply
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by 20th September 2022 along with the following documents/details:
- list of references
- writing sample (no more than 300 words)
- draft list of contents as well as a brief on the methodology
- expected remuneration
Only selected candidates will be contacted.